Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why we have Christmas


Apparently Christmas 'tis the season for subjecting yourself to ridiculously cold weather in order to have "special" experiences like looking at Rudolph in his stinky barn. Or hitting people in the Target parking lot with your cart when they bought the toy you wanted. Or caroling for old people who can't hear you anyway. I got caroled first hand this year and I can tell you from experience that it is terribly awkward. Are you supposed to sing along? Or sway back and forth to their off-key music? Try to smile and awkwardly avoid eye-contact? Do you tip when they are done? Who knows.

However, Brody and I did have a fun time when we went on a Polar Express train ride. I didn't even mind the cold too much. There is a place in Lindon called Stringtown that does a little Polar Express thing for the community every year. The waiting list is, like, centuries long but we were able to go with the MBA's spouse association. It is just a group of family members that does it for free but it was so nice and well done. You ride on a little train to Santa's Toy Shop then we all go inside and the kids talk to Santa. But, after all the kids got a turn Santa gathered them all around him and talked to them about Christ and why we really celebrate Christmas. He gave them all a little candy cane and showed them how it makes a 'J' for Jesus. Now whenever we see a candy cane Brody tells me it is a 'J' for Jesus. After Santa's Toy Shop we got back on the train and drove past these beautiful pictures by Simon Dewey. They depicted Christ's life from the angel announcing his birth clear until after his resurrection. I of course cried. But, I just loved how it was all Christ centered as opposed to the Santa-what-are-you-gonna-give-me greedfest that is so rampant this time of year. I'm not a scrooge, really. I just like the Christ part of Christmas and it just gets downplayed so much. Anyway, it was really great. Even if it was cold.

1 comments:

Winn Family said...

that is the coolest thing I have EVER heard of and I am significantly jealous!! that is awesome! And by the way...um...we're kinda a long ways away from you guys so I was wondering...could you just tell us what you're having? PLEASE!